Saturday, July 2, 2016

Dad's Garden

Dad and I were not close, and so he and my wife were even less so. Over our 24 years of marriage, we had Dad over for most Thanksgivings and Christmases and a few other holidays here and there.  
So her image of him is probably too colored by my own comments and discussions about him. 

When we visited his mobile home that first night after his death, she commented about his garden. She found it curious that such a gruff and negative man kept a lovely little water garden. 

So somehow there was this nurturing side to him that took care of these plants and carved out a little pocket paradise for himself.  Nurturing plants is much easier than nurturing relationships with people, and I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not the best at either one myself. 


Attached are a few pictures from his garden that I took just a few days after his death.  

















's

1 comment:

  1. Your Dad was quite the gardener. I read your first 2 posts back in June. I finally feel like I have time to backtrack and read them all. I am so sorry for your loss and I'm glad you're writing about it.

    ReplyDelete